On February 19, 1872 the California State Legislature passed a bill allowing county Sheriff’s and their deputies to wear a badges. On March 29th 1872 the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors authorized the sheriff to purchase badges for himself, the Undersheriff and his deputies.
This badge was obtained from the family of Sacramento Sheriff Adolph Heilbron who served from 1880-1882. It was made by Will & Finck San Francisco. It is believed that this badge was the very one purchased in 1872 and first worn by Sheriff Michael Bryte 1872-1874 and then by Hugh McElroy LaRue 1874-1876, and then by Sheriff Moses M. Drew 1876-1878, 1878-1880, and finally Adolph Heilbron.