South Side Police Sergeant Milwaukee Wisconsin badge circa 1860. Mike Halasi has found records going back to
1880-1881 which reveals at that time this badge was worn by George
Strong, Sergeant of the South Side Station. Source: History of Milwaukee, Wis., The Western Historical Society, Milwaukee Policemen.
Research continues for earlier records.
The Milwaukee police
department was born October 4, 1855 with a Chief, William Beck, and six policemen. By 1860 the department added two Sergeants, one for the South Side and another for the North Side.